Professional Development Opportunities
In order to be compliant with changes to the Health Professions Act (HPA), this upcoming events page and our job board will be discontinued at the end of 2021.
As of November 30, 2021, we will no longer be posting any new events or accepting any employment ads.
ACSLPA provides these professional development listings for your information. Posting an event does not imply endorsement.
Please Note: Speech-language pathologists or audiologists from outside of Alberta, and not registered with ACSLPA, conducting a speech-language pathology or audiology training course or clinical presentation in Alberta must be registered with ACSLPA with Courtesy Registration before providing professional services. Please contact ACSLPA for more information.
Corbett Aphasia Rehabilitation and Education (CARE) Program, University of Alberta
January 14, 2021 @ 9:00 am - March 26, 2021 @ 12:00 pm| $300 – $600
We are excited to announce the launch of the Corbett Aphasia Rehabilitation and Education (CARE) program in January 2021.
What is CARE?
- CARE is an place for people with aphasia (PWA) and their families to connect and access therapy as they move through various stages of recovery.
- Initially services will focus on the PWA, expanding to provide family programming in the future.
- CARE is supported by the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) in the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Alberta.
- Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) Esther Kim and Andrea Ruelling will oversee CARE services, with therapy provided by SLP students in advanced clinical placements.
How can I find it?
- CARE will run year round beginning January 14, 2021. Registration deadline for January to March structured groups is January 7, 2021.
- Drop in group registration is always accepted.
- Services will initially be offered Thursday and Friday mornings (9 AM – 12 PM).
- Services will be online via Zoom until it is safe to meet in person. At that point we will revisit our service delivery model, with the potential to offer a mix of in-person and online service in order for more PWA to access CARE.
What does CARE offer?
- A variety of programming will be offered throughout the year.
- Program schedule for January 14 – March 26, 2021:
|9:00 – 9:15||Check-in||Check-in|
|9:15 – 10:30||Writing group||Toastmasters|
|10:30 – 10:45||Break||Break|
|10:45 – 12:00||Drop in conversation group||Drop in conversation group|
Writing Group: This group will focus on written language skills. Participants will have an opportunity to work on different writing projects (e.g., texts, emails, letters, short stories) depending on ability level and interests. Technological supports will be used as appropriate. Open to all levels.
Toastmasters: This group will focus on talking. Participants will have an opportunity to work on different weekly speeches and on the spot discussions with a new theme each week. For those who find this more challenging, functional scripts can be practiced. Open to all levels.
Drop in conversation groups: These groups will combine social opportunities within facilitated large group discussions. Potential topics will include sharing stories, games (e.g., “Guess Who”, “Jeopardy”) or discussion of current events. Topics for discussions will be solicited from the group members, and opportunities for group members to facilitate will also be provided as appropriate. Open to all levels.
- Limited individual therapy will also be offered; however, the focus of this will be to set up goals which can be accomplished in the groups and at home.
- CARE will not stop running between student placements, ensuring continuity for our clients. However, the structured groups (i.e. writing group, toastmasters) will likely change with the placement timelines (i.e. every 12 weeks).
- New program schedule will be announced for April – July.
What does it cost?
- The cost is based on the number of groups attended.
- $600 for 1 structured group (Thursday or Friday) and 2 drop-in groups
- $300 for 2 drop-in groups (Thursday and Friday)
- These fees are for 12 weeks of programming.
- Prorated fees will be charged to people who register after the January 7 deadline joining the drop in conversation groups.
- These fees are for 12 weeks of programming. Payment options (i.e., monthly installments) or a reduction in fees can be explored if needed. Please contact email@example.com if this is something you want to explore.
How can clients register?
- SLPs can refer clients to CARE – please ensure that this has been discussed with the PWA and they are in agreement with the referral.
- PWA and family members can refer themselves to CARE.
- Registration for Writing group and/or Toastmasters must be received by January 7, 2021.
- Registration for drop in conversation groups will be accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Anyone who is interested should complete this registration form: https://forms.gle/Yjv3bsACEcsg3vMfA
Questions about CARE can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org