Courtesy Registration2023-09-14T11:09:06-06:00

The ACSLPA Courtesy Register allows practitioners to be registered in Alberta for a short term for a narrowly focused specific purpose, provided they are registered in good standing in another jurisdiction.

NOTE: Practitioners seeking courtesy registration in Alberta who are registered in good standing in the provinces of Manitoba, New Brunswick, Ontario, and Saskatchewan – please see Cross Provincial Practice below.

An applicant requesting registration on the courtesy register is eligible to be registered if they meet the following requirements to the satisfaction of the ACSLPA Registrar:

  • Complete the approved application form, including a description of the purpose for which registration is requested and the start and end dates required to complete the purpose. The application form includes the following declarations:
    1. Commitment to abide by regulations, practice standards, guidelines, and the Code of Ethics in Alberta,
    2. Commitment to cease practice and notify the Registrar immediately if registration in the home jurisdiction is cancelled, suspended, or has conditions imposed upon it, or if the individual become the subject of a complaint or investigation in their home jurisdiction; and
    3. If seeking courtesy registration for purposes 5-9, as outlined below, we will require a verification of registration from the home jurisdiction (and from any other jurisdictions in Canada where the applicant currently holds an SLP/audiology registration).
  • Pay the registration fee (if required)
  • Provide:
    1. proof of registration and good standing in another regulated jurisdiction (the home jurisdiction), recognized by the Registrar as having regulation substantially equivalent to that set out by the Alberta Health Professions Act;
    2. confirmation of the expiry date of registration in the home jurisdiction;
    3. confirmation of professional liability insurance coverage in Alberta if the purpose of registration is to provide a health service to the public; and
    4. evidence satisfactory to the Registrar that the applicant has the necessary competencies to carry out the purpose for which registration is requested.

The Registrar may approve courtesy registration, at the Registrar’s sole discretion, for purposes including the following:

  1. conducting a speech-language pathology or audiology training course or clinical presentation at an approved site;*
  2. conducting or engaging in an approved research program through a recognized research organization;*
  3. conducting or engaging in an accreditation program visit;*
  4. demonstrating equipment or techniques to be used in providing clinical care;*
  5. completing an internship or residency (or similar on-the-job training) for the purpose of developing specific clinical skills or competencies;**
  6. providing short-term SLP or audiology services for the purpose of ensuring continuity of care for a client who is travelling or returning to Alberta if treatment was started in the home jurisdiction;**
  7. providing short-term SLP or audiology services to ensure continuity of care through an employer that provides services in multiple jurisdictions if the Alberta SLP or audiologist who would normally provide care is temporarily unavailable;**
  8. providing short term specialist SLP or audiology services if no local SLP or audiologist with the necessary competencies is available to provide services in a reasonable timeframe or within reasonable geographic proximity to the client, given the circumstances of the situation, and**
  9. participating in ACSLPA’s Cross Provincial Practice Agreement (up to a maximum of 200 hours of client/patient care annually).**
  1. A courtesy registration may be approved for a period of up to one year for a purpose approved by the Registrar.
  2. The period of registration will not be approved for any longer than is reasonable to complete the purpose for which registration is requested.
  3. If registration is set to expire in the home jurisdiction before the expiry of the courtesy registration, you will have to provide confirmation of renewal at least one week before the expiry date in the home jurisdiction.
  4. The Registrar will cancel or suspend a courtesy registration, at the Registrar’s discretion, if the registration in the home jurisdiction has lapsed for any reason and/or for any period of time.
  5. A person registered on the Courtesy Register may practice for up to a maximum of 100 hours in a given 365-day period (i.e., one-year period from the start date of the courtesy registration). Following completion of the 365-day period, they may submit subsequent applications for registration on the Courtesy Register, but they will not be eligible for renewal. Should they wish to practice beyond the 100-hour maximum, they will need to submit an application for registration on the General Register.

Please see Fee Schedule.

Click here to access the general Courtesy Registration application form.

(for practitioners registered in good standing in the provinces of Manitoba, New Brunswick, Ontario, and Saskatchewan only)

A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) across Alberta, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Ontario, and Saskatchewan allows for registrants, who hold a full practicing license in one participating province (the primary province), to be registered in another participating province (the secondary province) and provide a limited amount of care across provincial boundaries.

The MOU makes it easier and more cost effective for SLPs and AUDs who are already registered in a primary province to register and provide client/patient care in a secondary province. The process is faster, and the fees are lower than applying for a full registration.

Participating Provinces2023-09-14T11:00:22-06:00
      • Alberta
      • Manitoba
      • New Brunswick
      • Ontario
      • Saskatchewan

We anticipate that more provinces will be signing the Memorandum of Understanding and agreeing to offer this type of license/permit in the future. Check with your primary province to get up-to-date information on participation.

What Specifically Does Cross Provincial Practice Registration Allow?2023-09-14T11:02:13-06:00

You will be able to provide direct care to those who live in the province where you hold a Cross Provincial Practice registration. You can provide up to 200 hours of client/patient care. This is a sum total of all the direct care hours for all your clients/patients. This is not 200 hours per client/patient.

Your Cross Provincial Practice registration will be valid for 12 months from the date on which you receive your Cross Provincial Practice registration in that province. Your Cross Provincial Practice registration will expire after 12 months.

If you wish to continue practicing in that province, you must re-apply for a new registration.

How do I apply for a Cross Provincial Practice Registration?2023-05-23T13:21:32-06:00

You must contact the province where you wish to obtain the Cross Provincial Practice registration. Each participating province has their own process, forms, and fees for registering for Cross Provincial Practice.

There are four common requirements for the Cross Provincial Practice registration across the participating provinces:

There will be additional requirements for each province you apply to for Cross Provincial Practice registration (such as police checks), as well as differing processes, and fees.

What is the meaning of “in good standing”?2023-09-14T11:02:55-06:00

To be in “good standing” the applicant must:

      • meet the requirements for continuing competence or quality assurance of the primary province
      • have paid the applicable fees to be registered in the primary province; and
      • not owe any debts to that regulator.

The applicant must not have:

      • a suspension
      • terms, conditions or limitations
      • a complaint filed against them which is unresolved
      • a Report (applicable to Ontario registrants)
      • an active regulatory investigation
      • an active referral to discipline proceeding
      • unresolved disciplinary or conduct matters that are relevant to cross provincial practice, as determined by the secondary province.
What are the professional liability insurance requirements for the secondary province?2023-07-21T09:37:21-06:00

You must ensure you have the appropriate professional liability insurance both in your primary province and for the province where you are seeking secondary registration. You must also ensure whatever insurance you do carry allows for Cross Provincial Practice.

You may not need to obtain separate insurance coverage but check with your existing insurance provider to ensure you are covered in the secondary province and that the amount of coverage meets the secondary provinces requirements. Please note that ACSLPA requires that you hold your own PLI and will not accept employer coverage.

The “Practice Differences Across Provinces: Key Links” chart will direct you to the professional liability insurance requirements for each province.

How do I track client/patient hours?2023-09-14T11:03:53-06:00

You are required to track all direct client/patient care hours whether they are provided virtually or in person. This refers to any direct care you provide to the client/patient or to their caregiver or family. For example, assessments, treatments, care via a support personnel would be counted. Similarly, advice you provide to significant others such as the caregivers, family, teachers or other professionals regarding your client/patient would also be counted.

Note: client/patient care hours do not include the SLP or AUD discussing their client/patient with other professionals for general advice regarding intervention with that client/patient.

You must not exceed 200 hours in total of direct care provided to the client/patient and/or to the caregiver or family when you add all the time spent with all your patients. Use the “Client/Patient Care Tracking Form: Cross Provincial Practice”. You must always be prepared to provide this completed form if requested from either the secondary or primary province.

Is urgent care across provinces allowed?2022-06-20T15:55:53-06:00

The participating provinces have agreed that you do not need to have a Cross Provincial Practice registration to provide brief help when a client/patient is temporarily in one of the participating provinces.

You can proceed without obtaining a Cross Provincial Practice registration but only If you are providing:

      • reasonably urgent limited services
      • for no more than a cumulative total of 3 hours
      • across the 12 months
      • to an existing client/patient
  • For example, your client/patient may need a hearing aid adjustment to manage a new listening environment they find themselves in while on vacation in another province. Similarly, your client/patient may benefit from a short intervention for managing their fluency in new situations.
  • Remember the 3 hours of urgent care is a total amount across all client/patients you may be servicing. You should only provide brief direct care for any single client/patient, and retain the remainder of the 3 hours for any other urgent situations, as opposed to providing 3 hours to 1 patient.

Please note, this ONLY applies to participating provinces. If you wish to provide brief service to a client/patient in a non-participating province, you must contact them directly to see if you must register with them.


Click here to access the Cross Provincial Practice Agreement application form.


Go to Top