Under the Health Professions Act (HPA), registration with ACSLPA is mandatory for SLPs and Audiologists in Alberta if they:
- meet the requirements for registration as a regulated member; and
- intend to provide any professional services as described in the practice statement for their profession.
Regardless of whether the work is paid or unpaid (i.e., volunteer), clinical or non-clinical, full-time, part-time, or casual, registration with ACSLPA is mandatory for any SLP or Audiologist who:
- provides professional services directly to the public;
- teaches the practice of their profession to regulated members or students; and/or
- supervises regulated members who provide professional services to the public.
Mandatory registration for healthcare professionals reassures the public and employers that a practitioner has met the standards required to practice, and that, as a result, Albertans will receive safe, competent care.