Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)2023-02-15T10:48:26-07:00
Can I work as a Speech-Language Pathologist or Audiologist while I’m waiting for my application results?2019-04-11T14:33:06-06:00

No. You cannot begin working until you are registered with ACSLPA. It is illegal and an offence under the Health Professions Act for you to work or volunteer as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist in Alberta, or provide such services to the public without being registered.

I am an SLP from outside Alberta and will be in your province to teach a course and provide some demonstration teaching with clients. Do I need to be registered with ACSLPA?2020-09-22T15:50:24-06:00

Yes. Under the ACSLPA bylaws, courtesy registration allows practitioners to be registered in Alberta for a short term for a narrowly focused specific purpose, provided they are registered in good standing in another jurisdiction.

Click here to access Courtesy Register requirements and application form.

Can I submit photocopies of my documents for registration?2022-06-29T12:55:13-06:00

We cannot accept photocopied, faxed, or scanned forms. Electronic documents (e.g. transcripts, credential assessments, police information checks) from post-secondary, recognized assessment agencies and police services that can be accessed or verified by secure login site will be accepted as original documents. Please make sure that digital signatures or reference numbers on police information checks are clearly visible. Otherwise, we require the original documents.

The checklist in the application package will give you more detail about the documents you require, including which documents must come directly from the institution where you received your degree or qualifications.

Do I need to write an exam to register with ACSLPA?2022-06-29T12:08:34-06:00

Individuals trained outside of a Canadian accredited university program will be required to complete an entry examination.

Further information regarding examination requirements is available here.

I am a member of an association that has a mutual recognition or reciprocity agreement with SAC (Speech-Language and Audiology Canada). Does this agreement also apply to ACSLPA?2019-04-11T14:34:55-06:00

No. ACSLPA is a regulatory organization, not a member association. Because of this, mutual recognition or reciprocity agreements with SAC do not apply to ACSLPA or other Canadian regulatory organizations.

Questions? Please contact the ACSLPA office using our Contact Us Form


Go to Top